Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Palace of Illusions




I recently just finished The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, a story about the Mahabharat from a woman’s view, though not just any woman, but Draupadi. Born in fire with her twin brother to fulfill their father, the King of Panchaal’s thirst for revenge, she alone will change the course of history. I fell in love with this book, with Panchaali’s (Draupadi’s nickname) complicated yet headstrong character, her determination to fulfill what is demanded of her through hardships, marriages, humiliation and the Great War of its time. Towards the end I began to beg Panchaali’s character to, for once, say what is in her heart, don’t bite your tongue despite what you may face and when the truth was there ripped for plucking she didn’t, she chose duty over a love her heart longed for since the day of her swayamvar. So much would have been different if she chose the man who man her heart swell and bangles jingle softly, would she then have brought to reality the war that killed so many and left other lives destroyed?

So what’s the point of this babble and why has this book gotten me so riled up? I honestly can’t say, I almost refuse to let her story finish the way it has, so.. For you Panchaali.. Wedding attire for the one you never had.. to the one you’ve loved all along.. who… through it all, loved you just as much.




SKIN: MIA - Medium in Sweet
HAIR: Frangipani - Jasmine in Espresso
Bridal Outfit: Zaara - Indian bride in Crimson
ALL JEWELRY: Zaara - Suvarna in White
SHOES: Armidi - Dalia Pump in Red



I had to also include one of my favorite Bollywood songs ever, for Panchaali and Karna and the first time they fell in love. (swoooons, I LOOOOVE this song!)

Suraj Hua Maddham

No comments: